Intermittently Decanted Extended Aeration Lagoon The Intermittently Decanted Extended Aeration Lagoon, or IDEAL, consists of an EDI floating lateral aeration system with Magnum fine bubble diffusers, two chains of BioReef BioCurtain, a static decanter with flow control valves, an overflow pipe with Storm Mode™, process controls, and a blower package. The simple operation of the IDEAL provides easy, cost-effective operation while the sophistication of the design provides high levels of BOD, TSS and ammonia removal. The process requires no active sludge management and extremely high flow events present no operational problem or concern from washout of the reactor. The IDEAL also provides up to 66% total nitrogen as part of the basic package, which means the owner is already prepared for future increases in nitrate or nitrogen requirements. The unique ability of the IDEAL to provide front-of-plant treatment provides several benefits over other lagoon-based technologies. First, the warmest water in the winter is found in the first cell. By performing treatment in the first cell the need for thermal covers is reduced. Second, by removing ammonia at the front of the plant the system can utilize the influent carbon for denitrification, which provides oxygen and alkalinity recovery while helping to meet future regulations without having to incorporate expensive future components. Lastly, because the sludge is retained in the first cell there is no need to operate and maintain sludge return pumps.
- Front-of-the-Plant Ammonia Removal - Removing ammonia at the front of the plant allows for the use of the warmest water and also set up the potential for easy nitrate and total nitrogen removal.
- Out-of-the-Box Total Nitrogen Removal - Up to 66% Converting ammonia to nitrate is only the first step. Denitrification, or removing nitrate, is the second step necessary for total nitrogen removal. The IDEAL provides this benefit as a natural function of the reactor whereas many other system require expensive upgrades to achieve similar results. Total nitrogen and nitrate restrictions are on the horizon in almost all States.
- Energy and Chemical Savings - Microbes use nitrate in the same way they use oxygen. Denitrification that occurs naturally in the IDEAL reduces oxygen requirements and provides decreased operational cost. The alkalinity that is recovered during denitrification can decrease or eliminate the need for expensive calcium carbonate addition that is needed in some plants so that complete nitrification can occur.
- Worry-Free Operation During and After Peak-Plus Flow Events - The IDEAL Process has shown an excellent ability to resist washout during heavy water surges and easily adjusts to varying degrees of loading.
- Easy Sludge Management and Solids Disposal - The IDEAL Process provides a self-balancing solids inventory system that retains biomass in the IDEAL while discharging excess biomass to the Partial Mix lagoon. This means no RAS/WAS pumps to maintain and adjust and no additional process components for solids disposal.
- Long-Term Compliance Planning - Simple future upgrades for advanced system control and maximum pollutant removal are made simple. No modification to the core treatment process is necessary.